Random Lake Historical Museum to feature history of Adell

The Random Lake Area Historical Museum will be featuring ‘Our Neighbor to the North: The History of Adell’ at 115 Carroll Street on Friday July 7 from 5 8 p.m. Visitors will be able to learn more of this village in the southern part of Sheboygan County.

After the first wave of Yankee settlers arrived to claim the land around 1836, Adell drew most of its early residents from Ireland and Germany. The first Adell Post Office was established on Dec. 3, 1851 with Eliada Baldwin as postmaster.

Settlers built the original log cabin St. Patrick’s Church in 1853 in the European tradition of finding the highest point of land a half mile east of the village boundary. Emmanuel Lutheran Church, a congregation of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, was established in 1915. The community became home to a third church in 1987 when Grace bible Church held its first Sunday Service in the Adell Municipal Building (the former grade school).

The Milwaukee & Northern Railroad made its first run on the new track from Cedarburg to Plymouth in 1872 - the arrival of the railroad’s whistle signaled growth for Adell. The village of Adell was incorporated in 1918, breaking away from the Town of Sherman.

Born Hildegarde Loretta Sell in Adell on February 1, 1906, Hildegarde was dubbed "the most famous supper-club performer who ever lived”, headlining nightclubs across the globe for close to seven decades. Leona Neumann of Adell has provided a collection of newspaper articles and a vinyl record of the ‘Incomparable’ Hildegarde. Additional items of interest including vintage photographs of the village, baseball team and mercantile mementos are on loan from Bob Navis, Kurt Neumann, and Ruth Weinkoetz among others.

At 6:30 p.m., Bob Navis, local historian and lifelong resident of Adell will speak on the history of the village. Visitors will be able to purchase a Gina Marie’s lasagna supper (with garlic bread and salad), desserts, and beverages. Sponsor for July program is The Sounder of Random Lake.

Random Lake Area Historical Museum’s new location is the 1934 Beger Building (the former site of Video City and other businesses). The Museum features permanent historical displays of local businesses and life in the early 20th century in Random Lake and the surrounding areas. The RL Area Historical Society, whose mission is to ‘collect, preserve and share the history of the area’ also operates the 1865 Nowack House, located at 900 Short Street in Random Lake. Admission (which includes the Museum and Nowack House) is members free, adults/$2, children ages 6-12/$1, children under age 6/free.

The Museum will also be open every Saturday from 9 11 a.m. from May 5 through Dec. 8 (except holiday weekends). For more information call 920 994- 2168 or 920 980-3960.


Most recent cover pages:














Copyright 2009-2018 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505