Key changes for deer tagging

There are some important deer carcass tagging changes in 2009 that hunters will want to pay attention to, according to Department of Natural resources wildlife biologists and wardens.

Hunters can print out a handy color tip sheet on tagging their deer from the DNR Web site or request a copy from a DNR service center. Information on carcass tags is also available in the 2009 Wisconsin Deer Hunting Regulations pamphlet or by calling the DNR Call Center at 1-888-936-7463.

Gun Deer Hunters

After a number of years of herd control and earn-a-buck rules in the north, many northern deer management units are Regular units in 2009. To shoot an antlerless deer in Regular units, gun deer hunters must purchase a unit-specific antlerless deer tag.

Some Regular units will not have any unit-specific antlerless tags available in 2009. Some have already sold out and others are expected to sell out. Hunters are urged to check early and to be sure they understand the rules and have the right tags for their unit.

The “Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag” that is included with a gun deer hunting license is valid only in Herd Control and CWD (EAB) units.

As in the past, there is an unlimited number of antlerless deer tags available for Herd Control units for hunters wishing to harvest additional deer for personal use or for donation to the Venison Donation program.

Licensed gun and archery hunters hunting in CWD units may pick up free CWD Deer Carcass Tags at all DNR Service Centers, and select DNR licensing locations and registration stations throughout the CWD Management Zone.

Archery Deer Hunters

Archery hunters receive two antlerless carcass tags with their license. The “Archery Antlerless Carcass Tag” is good for any unit statewide during an open archery season.

If this tag is used, archery hunters in Regular units may also purchase the unit-specific antlerless tags if there are any available for the unit they will be hunting in. The “Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag,” which is identical to the tag received by gun license buyers, is good only in Herd Control and CWD (EAB) units.

Buck Stickers

Some hunters received a yellow Buck Authorization Sticker after registering an antlerless deer in an earn-a-buck or CWD unit in 2008. If the sticker was not used in 2008 to validate a buck harvest tag, it is still valid for the 2009 deer hunting season but only in a CWD Management Zone unit where earn-a-buck hunting rules are still in effect for 2009.

After the 2009 hunting season, the yellow sticker will be invalid. If an antlerless deer is harvested and registered within a CWD Management Unit during any 2009 hunting season, the hunter must request a “2009-2010 Earn-a-Buck, Buck Authorization” sticker at the deer registration station.

Buck Authorization stickers will not be mailed to hunters as they have for certain situations in the past. For more information, call Keith Warnke at 608-264-6023 or Bob Manwell, 608-264-9248.

Most recent cover pages:

Copyright 2009-2018 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505