News Digest

SJL to benefit from walk

The Second Annual “Soles for Catholic Education” Walk is taking stride. This year’s two-mile walk will be held Saturday, Oct. 25, at 10 a.m. at Mount Mary University in Milwaukee.

Approximately 9,000 alumni, students, parents and supporters of Catholic education are expected to participate in this event. St. John the Baptist is a Catholic school in Plymouth that will directly benefit from the Walk.

“This event is a labor of love. We’re so excited to be gathering as a community to celebrate Catholic education. Catholic schools have educated children in southeastern Wisconsin for more than 170 years and have positively impacted them and their families, as well as the community at large. We need to ensure that Catholic schools remain accessible and affordable for all,” said Milwaukee Archbishop Jerome Listecki.

Last year more than 7,000 walkers participated in the inaugural Walk, raising more than $348,000 for tuition assistance for each school that participated.

Mary and John Stollenwerk Jr. and Ann and Christopher Swain are co-chairs of this year’s “Soles for Catholic Education” Walk.

Schools will once again collect shoes for those in need. The shoes will be distributed through southeastern Wisconsin St. Vincent de Paul stores. Last year walkers truly “Stuffed the Bus” as more than 9,000 pairs were collected.

It’s not too late to participate in the Walk or pledge in support of those who have already registered. Registration is $10. To register, pledge, or for more information about the Walk, visit

Winter energy aid available

The Economic Support Division of the Sheboygan County Health and Human Services Department is taking applications for the 2014-15 Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program.

Sheboygan County residents who need help with their heating or electric bills should call 208-5946 for an appointment. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance eligibility is based on the total gross income of all household members during the preceding three months.

The 2014-15 limits are: household of 1, $6,288; household of 2, $8,223; household of 3, $10,157; household of 4, $12,092; household of 5, $14,027; household of 6, $15,961; household of 7, $16,324; and household of 8, $16,687. Income limits increase as family size increases.

Applicants must provide verification of the following information for all household members (including minors): Social Security numbers, alien registration cards (if applicable), gross wages, all unearned income, account numbers for heat and electric bills, and an ID for the primary person.

If heat is included in the rent, a copy of your lease or a note from your landlord stating that heat is included in the rent is also required.

Political signs illegal in right-of-way

With a major election approaching Nov. 4, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation is reminding candidates, campaign workers and the general public that state law prohibits placement of any type of sign – including political, commercial or garage sale signs – on highway right of way.

“Stopping along highways or putting items in right of way is strongly discouraged because it’s really a matter of public safety,” said Allan Johnson with WisDOT’s Bureau of Highway Maintenance. Improperlyplaced signs:

· Distract motorists or obstruct their view, especially at intersections;

· Pose a safety risk to people who enter highway right of way to install a sign, and to road maintenance workers who will remove the sign;

· Damage or disable mowers and other equipment, and can potentially injure maintenance workers or others. Signs with wire supports degrade in the weather, leaving only the wire frame that is difficult to see.

Except for official traffic signs, state law prohibits placing any signs or other objects in highway right of way. This prohibition extends to all numbered state, federal and interstate highways, along with county highways, town roads, municipal streets, alleys, bike and pedestrian paths. In general, highway right of way in a rural area extends to beyond shoulders, ditches and any adjoining fence line. In urban areas, right-of-way generally extends beyond the sidewalk.

Signposts and street name marker posts are always within the right of way. Most utility poles are within highway right of way and can be used as a rough guide for sign placement. If a sign is placed between a utility pole and a roadway – it is likely in an illegal location.

Signs are not allowed within street terrace areas, highway medians or roundabouts. With the landowner’s consent, political signs are allowed on private property without a billboard permit as long as the signs do not exceed 32 square feet and contain no flashing lights or moving parts.

Improperly-located signs are dealt with as part of regular highway maintenance. Road maintenance crews are asked to make reasonable attempts to preserve larger, improperly-placed campaign signs and provide campaign offices an opportunity to retrieve them from the municipal maintenance facility.

State law (Section 86.19) provides for a fine from $10 to $500 for signs that violate the law. Local municipalities may have additional guidelines regulating the placement of signs along county highways or local roads and streets. Persons who illegally place signs may also be liable for any damages caused to equipment or people.

Most recent cover pages:

Copyright 2009-2019 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505

Lakeshore Techinical College

Goking Livestock

Tri County Tours