Board OKs Taylor Park land sale for apartments

by Emmitt B. Feldner
of The Review staff

SHEBOYGAN – The County Board Tuesday approved selling a small slice of Taylor Park to allow access to a proposed apartment complex in the city of Sheboygan.

The sale of .44 acres to the east of the county Veterans Memorial in the park will become part of the driveway access to the development north of Sunny Ridge and south of the Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer, between Wilgus Road and Erie Avenue.

County Administrator Adam Payne told the board that final negotiations on the land sale were going on up until the day of the board meeting.

“My bottom line was that this can’t negatively impact the Veterans Memorial,” Payne explained.

He said the Veterans Service Commission and the Veterans Memorial Committee had both met Monday to review the planned sale and both had endorsed it.

The proposed development will include five 16-unit apartment buildings. While it does not front on any city streets, it will have access off North 29th Street via a driveway east of Sunny Ridge and off Wilgus Road via a proposed drive on the land developers will buy from the county and from the church.

Payne noted that the developers are still negotiating with the church to purchase 6.21 acres of land between the church and Taylor Park for the drive off Wilgus Road.

Preliminary plans for the $5.3 million apartment complex development indicate there will be a line of trees planted along the west side of the access drive off Wilgus Road to provide a screen between the drive and the Veterans Memorial.

The development is on part of the former Sunny Ridge property north of the nursing home.

According to the fiscal note accompanying the resolution approving the sale, the county is to receive at least $11,500 for the property. That money would be set aside for improvements to Taylor Park.

Payne thanked Supervisor Henry Nelson, a retired surveyor and a member of the Property Committee, for his efforts in aiding and monitoring the sale negotiations.

The board approved completion of the final phase of the remodeling project at the Health and Human Services Department building, which began in 2012.

The final phase, to cost $118,000, will be to create new centrally-located administrative offices for the department.

Revisions to the county’s subdivision ordinance, last updated in 1998, were approved by the board. The action completed a two-year review and revision process by the county Planning and Resources Department.

The board approved a transfer of $1.8 million from the county’s fund balance to the radio replacement program.

The county is in the process of replacing emergency radios.

The board had previously agreed to pay 100 percent of the cost of replacement radios for volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel and 70 percent of the cost for local law enforcement and other firefighters and EMS personnel. The transfer also makes money available for local units of government to borrow the money needed to cover the remaining 30 percent cost of the radios, where necessary, from the county.

Most recent cover pages:

Copyright 2009-2019 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505

Wood Sampler

Taste of Greece