Fishing adventure on Green Bay

This week’s column is about fishing and camping on Green Bay with my good buddy, Doug Cibulka, and my golden retriever pup, Ruby.

Saturday, Oct. 22

High 65, Low 37

Here is the deal. I have been obtaining information from reliable sources that trolling for muskies on Green Bay near Green Bay had been pretty good lately and that a lot of fish in the 47-56- inch range were being caught.

I was going to go on this trip by myself and then Doug said he would like to come along which in the big picture was a major bonus.

We launched my 18-foot War Eagle at the landing on the Suamico River and as we were loading my rig with camping and fishing gear we spoke with and observed dozens of duck hunters coming in from a morning hunt. A common theme that we heard was lots of ducks of which most were bluebills and most were flying too far from shore to shoot.

So our plan was to camp on a predetermined secret island, and really spend most of this 30-hour adventure in my boat trolling for both musky and walleye.

Our first minor issue which eventually would be a huge issue was that we could not reach “Secret Island” by boat as the water was too shallow. This was not a big deal as Doug had hip boots and I had chest waders. We anchored the boat and carried our gear about 40 yards to shore and built our camp.

One of my informants told me that I should troll on the Door County shoreline near the Red Banks area and so we took about a seven-mile boat ride and then set up six rods for trolling. Four of our rigs were for walleye and two were for musky.

It was maybe 1 p.m. and Doug and I were in an excellent mood as the weather was beautiful. We had plenty of daylight and very high hopes for catching something big.

It was shortly before this that we did start hearing reports from other fishermen that they were not having any luck today. Another very interesting part of this day was the amount of bluebill (ducks) that we were constantly watching as we went on our long and pleasant boat ride.

About 5 p.m we had no action yet but we did not care as we knew the fish were about to get hungry. At this time we saw what I believe was a migration of thousands of bluebills flying overhead with all of them heading south.

Shortly before dark something large hit my musky rig. I was just starting the fight when a large fish surfaced and then was gone.

Towards dark we headed in the direction of camp and had some kind of bad luck when I turned my lights on, hit shallow water and popped a fuse on my motor.

After dark, Doug and I solved every problem known to man by the light of a Coleman lantern while enjoying some very tasty malt beverages.

Sunday, Oct. 23

High 56, Low 41

Doug, Ruby and myself were in excellent spirits as we started out our day. First observation, I think a lot ducks were shot today judging by the amount of shooting.

Our plan was to troll towards Green Bay and fish University Bay where we were told some big musky had been caught in the last few days. I almost forgot, yesterday we had major problems with floating vegetation messing up our lines.

So, we are trolling with the wind at our backs, had been at it for maybe three hours without any fish-catching action at all when all of a sudden my graph tells me that we are in 2 feet of water. All we can do is troll forward and hope our situation does not mean getting stuck.

We had been on what was now becoming high seas for about10 minutes and I was really scared that we were going to get stuck when my walleye rod started bending, and low and behold I caught a 22-inch walleye. Yeah us!

So, Doug and I are fishing the University Bay area having no action when I headed back towards camp on what would be about a six-mile-into-the-wind ride (still fishing).

The last two miles 2-footers went to true 4-footers and then the ship hit the fan in a huge way. The fours became 6-footers and all H. E. double-toothpicks broke out.

So we had not taken down camp and remember where I said we could not reach shore because it was too shallow. To get out of our predicament one of us would wade to shore and the other would hold the boat which was kind of like holding onto a 2,000-pound bull and telling it to stay put.

Each wave had to be ridden out so the minimum amount of water would come into the boat. The person hauling gear from shore carried everything by the armload and of course everything that we had became soaked.

It was a solid two-mile journey back to the Suamico River and by God we made it.

There is a God!


Most recent cover pages:

With Giannis Antetokounmpo in the NBA All-Star Game Sunday ...:

Copyright 2009-2019 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505

Sheboygan County Economic Development