Three days on Green Bay

Since early August I have been looking forward to a simple trip on Green Bay where I would troll with two lines for walleyes and one for muskies.

I would camp on a friends “remote” property in the Suamico area and kind of wish I was hunting ducks as well.

Wednesday, Oct. 18

High 73, Low 45

Strong winds made me feel a little better about running late this afternoon as I did not arrive at the public boat landing until about 4:30. My plan for the start of this trip was to load the boat with gear and once I hit the bay I troll until I reach the area where I planned on camping.

My lure of choice would be Flicker Shads and Flicker Minnows for walleye and a 14-inch lure called a Mattlock that looks exactly like a walleye and has been getting a lot of respect from musky fishermen.

The Mattlock costs about $90 and I won mine in a raffle and think it will be awesome on my annual Canadian fishing trip as well.

About the time that I was trolling and the waves were letting go I had to build camp as day was becoming night and that was somewhat hard to take as I could hear my comrades with shotguns having fun shooting at ducks.

My golden retriever Fire was my companion and it honestly felt like a mid-August camping trip it was so warm out.

Thursday, Oct. 19

High 75, Low 52

The boat left camp at 7:00 this morning and did not return until 7:00 this evening. I could hear duck hunters passing camp at 4:30 a.m. as they motored out for a morning of watching the skies.

With an almost-perfect weather forecast I was really excited for a day of catching a limit of walleyes, and a few muskies between 40-55 inches.

My informant had told me to fish The University Bay area of Green Bay and so that is what I did along with maybe a half a dozen other boats.

When I left camp, I had almost made a huge mistake and that was leaving my 18.6 War Eagle in too shallow of water. The water on Green Bay rises and lowers according to the wind direction and I was almost very seriously stuck (as I have been in the past).

So, I am trolling for about four hours and thinking I am going to start catching fish any minute and have yet to see another boat’s occupants use their nets when a big fish hit my purple Flicker Shad. For a good five minutes I drifted with the wind and could not budge my monster and then, just like that, it got away.

An hour later I had another hit and caught a 31-inch northern pike. Long story short. I never gave up hope, changed lures, checked lines and put the pike and a striper in the boat after 12 hours on the water.

Friday, Oct. 20

High 80, Low 53

Another four hours were put in the boat this morning. There were lots of boats on the water and I did not see a fish caught besides another 31-inch northern that came into mine.

About 1 p.m. I was breaking camp and I saw a boat stop out on the big water. The boat’s anchor was dropped and its occupants began swimming. I have never seen anyone swim in Wisconsin on Oct. 20 unless it was not by choice on Wisconsin’s waters.

I wrote a month ago that along with many family members I have been spending some time down in Louisiana helping take care of my brother, Bob Walters, who is fighting cancer. Bob lost his fight this past week and about all I can say about losing a brother is that all of the sudden there is a big empty hole in your life that only time will help heal.

Green Bay, and whether the fish were biting or not, was a perfect place to go and just think and not think, and enjoy nature and the challenge of living on the big water.


Most recent cover pages:

POLL: Do you think Elkhart Lake made the right decision in not allowing Strawberry the pot-bellied pig?:

Copyright 2009-2018 The Plymouth Review, All Rights Reserved

Contact Information

113 E. Mill St., Plymouth WI 53073
Local: 920-893-6411 Toll Free: 1-877-467-6591
Fax: 920-893-5505

Plymouth High School Homecoming